national and state highway systems are crucial
for our economy and way of life. Lee Terry is
proud to have voted for the six-year transportation
reauthorization bill to bolster our economy through
improved highways, new jobs, reduced traffic congestion,
fewer fatalities, and increased driver convenience.
- The U.S. Department of Transportation estimates
that 42,000 jobs are created for every $1 billion
invested in transportation.
- Nebraska would receive $1.4 billion for highway
and transportation improvements under this legislation,
which would help address the 10 percent increase
in vehicle travel in our state over the past
five years alone. Annually, congestion costs
American drivers $67 billion in lost productivity
and wasted motor fuel, and costs the average
driver $1,160 a year during peak traffic times.
Terry is proud that he was able to include in
the bill funding for:
- Resurfacing the Bellevue Bridge
- widening of Cuming Street in Omaha
- Construction of recreational trails in Douglas